Team building games of all types abound during Customer Service Week. One exciting example comes from the Information Services Department at the Cobb County Government in Marietta, GA. The highlight of the celebration was a version of the television show Amazing Race.
The show features 11 teams racing around the world to win one million dollars. The teams compete in 13 activities. And the last team to complete the activity and arrive at the “pit stop” is eliminated.
Rather than racing around the world, these teams traveled through the office. Each day, they were given a clue that described the location of the first “pit stop.” When all teams arrived at the “pit stop,” they competed to complete a task. The last team to complete the task was eliminated.
Each challenge took just 10 to 15 minutes and each person on the team was required to participate.
Following are examples of three of the “pit stop” clues and tasks:
- Pit Stop #3 Clue. You will now make a visit to the place where the Great Oz resides. There you will find task #3.
- Task #3. The task is to eat the collard green pie. The last team to finish the pie will be eliminated from the race. If your team completes this task successfully you will be given the next clue.
- Pit Stop #5 Clue. Navigate your way to this office where very few Information Services staff visit, but they support the entire county’s needs for all geographic locations. There you will find task #4.
- Task #5. The task is to complete the crossword puzzle provided within 10 minutes. If you do not complete the crossword puzzle within 10 minutes your team will be eliminated from the race. If your team completes this task successfully you will be given the next clue.
- Pit Stop #7 Clue. Customer service is defined in this area. This area handles all your technical support needs. There you will complete the final task and the winning team will be announced!
- Task #7. Today your team will answer some tough questions. Pick a captain and when the question is asked talk among your group and come up with the correct answer — hit the bell and you will be given a chance to answer. If you get the answer wrong — two points will go to the opposing team and they will get the opportunity to answer the question. The team to get 100 points first wins the Amazing Race.
Additional popular game show activities include Fear Factor, Jeopardy!, Cash Cab, and Survivor.